Old 11-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #16
UntrustedAlly

Re: Chevy 350 Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Ah!
The allure of cheap parts!
He’ll have 600 bucks!
You’ll have a block with scored walls, roached bearings and cracked heads.
Can’t pass up a deal like that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I so agree. Most mid 70s up Corvette blocks are nothing special. Base Corvette motor in '79 is the same as an Impala. Big whoop. Now if was '69 then it would matter because it would be a 4-bolt and better block. Or if it was '89 it would have Corvette-only aluminum heads but the block again is nothing special.

OP-the deal sounds too good to be true. Beware.
If the guy is telling the truth, the engine is a great deal. In South Dakota or at least the general area I am in, rebuilt engines sell cheap in my experience. Lots of old farmtrucks and especially people doing work on them. My friend got a complete, rebuilt 355, all forged for a comparable price. The engine ran hella good for a couple years before he sold it.

I am definitely aware that this sounds too good to be true, however. I'm heading to the guys shop later today and hoping we can get the engine running on the stand or at least have some of the internals or receipts shown to me. At the very least we'll pop off the valve covers and turn the crank to make sure its all together. The guy is selling a lot of various parts equally cheap so that improves my confidence. This includes a set of rebuilt vortec heads w/roller rockers, guides, seats, and springs, aswell as an intake for $300. He has the receipt for the heads, gone over by a local machine shop.
Again very cheap, but the receipt speaks for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Sometimes these types of conversations need to be reset in order for them to move on in the correct direction....so quick recap.

You have an engine that has 70 psi compression?...what?...I don't think that would even run, so you need to recheck that.

Next up, if you do have low compression (but maybe more than 70 psi)...then its clear you aren't happy with the performance....fine, understood.

Next: .......ready?

What is the budget you have and are willing to put into this to achieve something close to 400hp?

This answer and feedback needs to come ...waaaayyyy...before how to do it.
Respectfully,

Coley
Yes, 70psi. It was consistent however, and as mentioned, with the intake almost completely closed. I was confused how it ran at all too but there's no blowby and the number seems oddly consistent. Budget is probably 2k or less. I get that's not much but appearance and ghetto-ness is no issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
On that note Coley, he has a lot of supporting parts already.
He just needs a good long block to use it on.
Plus the ability to lower his expectations of 400 hp. That number is doable down the road.
First you need a good sound base, second get it built, third learn to tune it and then do upgrades to achieve your hp goals.
Buying cheap unknown parts doesn’t help.
He’ll need a crate motor that runs about 2 grand to start with. Down the road a few more grand will get his hp up there.
Don’t forget the supporting cast in your 400 hp dream. You need a better converter, maybe tranny, rear gear changes, etc etc.
It all adds up!
Start simple, build it from there.
That's where I'm leaning, I'm not sure the engine itself is worth keeping but the supporting parts are good. The biggest issue I had with the engine was that it was bought not running and I had no point of reference. The balancer slipped, the timing mark was off, distributor was unmarked, carb untuned, and no history. I figured out the timing, got a free replacement balancer and crank (old one was stripped) and got the carb tuned but I'm not confident the current long block is worth keeping with the heads likely needing replacement.

Recap:
We've determined that my current engine needs a lot of work, likely not worth keeping unless I am willing to put in a lot of work.
I am looking at a 355 this afternoon that supposedly has forged internals and vortec heads. 4 bolt main. Should be able to get 350hp with a cam.
The best history I have of my current engine is that the truck was bought built and was running 2+ years prior to my ownership, as confirmed by several people in the area who knew the owner. Owner also said the truck used to run very strong for whatever that's worth.
If I was to guess based on the history and issues, I think the cam put in was too big for the springs, the engine was overrevved, and the valvetrain damaged. If not the valvetrain, I'd guess a fuel issue.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Last edited by UntrustedAlly; 11-02-2018 at 02:55 PM.
UntrustedAlly is offline   Reply With Quote