View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #23
Vince M

Man..I've got to tell you that all the advice above is right on. I'm in the middle of mine and it has been more than I originally thought. The first thing I can say is make sure your frame is good. After putting a lot of work into my original I finally tossed it and found another one. Mine was too far bent. I could see it was put in a frame straightener but with all the undercoating and grime I didn't know it at the time I bought it.
Second thing I've done is paid to have some work done that I did not want to do myself. Most of it was sandblasting and powdercoating. It's nice to take a dirty grimy piece and have it come back all clean and coated.
You are going to need space and lot's of it. I've just about got my chassis rolling and I'm now thinking about putting the chassis outside. Something I do not want to do but the cab is my next "project" and it's going to need some room.
Last item I can say is fit everything before paint. I can't tell you how much stuff you take for granted and then go to assemble and find a fit problem. I'm putting a diffenent motor and tranny in mine and have run into a few problems. None that couldn't have been fixed but you don't want to be drilling/cutting etc on a painted frame.