View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #90
Ford Assassin

Question Re: 1973-1991 Dual fuel tank systems theory of operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Bypassing the relay is a bad idea.
It's a more reliable setup to use the 1987-91 fuel pump relay as it was originally setup by GM.

Why?
The relay isolates the PCM from the fuel pump power circuit. This keeps fuel pump wiring problems and fuel pump problems from smoking the fuel pump driver transistor in your PCM. When you let out the magic smoke you can't put it back.

The original TBI ECM has two connectors.
A & B.
The individual terminals in each ECM connector are numbered.

The fuel pump relay connector terminals are lettered A-F. As you can see in the above wiring diagram.

Splice the LS fuel pump power wire to the TBI fuel pump power wire... according to the diagram above it's a Green with White stripe wire from the old ECM Connector A on Terminal position 1 to the relay plug terminal position D.
I guess I am confused. I have a separate relay for the fuel pump in my stand alone harness. Why would I want to run through another relay? Not meaning any insult, just asking for clarification.
Attached Images

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote