View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
rkn463

Re: Bosch Hydromax brake booster info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHD View Post
Hey Richard,

Spent this past week/weekend replacing headgaskets on my buddys Duramax and I'm pretty sore now haha.
I hear that is a heck of a job, there is a good reason mechanics charge so much to do it! All of the crap under the hood of the newer trucks really makes you appreciate these old medium duty trucks.

Quote:
I still have the brand new hypower booster and master cylinder but no backup pump if you're interested.
Unfortunately, the auxiliary pump is all I need, the rest is all new (reman)

Quote:
The issues Im having are:

1. Hardly any pedal travel(less than 1") and stiff pedal. I can open a bleeder and press the pedal all the way down with no issues. So I know its working right and can have full stroke but I believe the issue is due to using a larger master cylinder bore. Factory single reservoir was 1.5" and the hydromax is 2".
I had the same experience with mine, check out post 223 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=223 in my build. Keep in mind, my whole frame, drive train, brakes, etc. was donated from a 1989 C60 which I drove around a bunch prior to the change over and in that truck the brakes felt like a modern pickup. In post 223 you can see where after measuring the pivot to brake rod distance it was way shorter on the 68 effectively reducing the leverage that you apply to the master cylinder along with a shorter throw. Changing it would have required serious re-fabrication so I ultimately decided to go with it. One other variable that I introduced was a new (reman) master cylinder but it was supposed to be correct for the donor truck, they listed the same 1.75" bore size.

Quote:
Since you are using front disc brakes I'm curious to see how well it works since you'll need more fluid volume..
See above. Also, mine has 4 wheel disk brakes.

Cheers,
-Richard