View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #14
pritch

Re: Derecho Out Of Iowa

Dang. I hope everyone is OK!

We had a thing come thru here many years ago and I always wondered what it was. I have a mountain just west of me, the peak is probably 10 miles or so, maybe less. But from where I lived at the time I knew that when storms come over that peak, you got about 20 minutes to get everything you don't want wet put away.

This day, the peak disappeared and 5 minutes later it was blowing really hard and hailing to beat the band. After a while it was over and we went to check things out, Coalville was kind of on the north edge of it and where I live now, 4 miles south of Coalville was kind of on the south edge. I'd say the thing wasn't more than 5 miles wide, but in the center it tore stuff up! Pretty much knocked down everything it encountered. A few days later, me and a buddy went up in the Uintahs fishing, and we came to a place where we could could look out over maybe 50 miles of forest and every single tree was broke off about half way up it's trunk. We just stood there in slack-jawed amazement. I was still only maybe a half mile wide or so where the major damage was, and I am sure that nothing could have lived through it had they been where them trees was all broke off.

So I just looked around the web for a minute, wondering if it was the same thing (because it looks like this is mostly a flatland kind of thing) and I think I found it. Apparently, there was another one back in June, and this meteorologist speaks of that one but she has tracked others, and the one from May, 1994 would have been around that time. I hope this link works:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/derecho-u...amage-colorado

Scroll down some and there's a tweet or whatever from Elizabeth Leitman. The picture in the upper left corner of her tweet thing shows the one from '94. Pretty wild stuff. Very rare around here.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote