View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #96
hdff

Re: Converting factory AC to use R134a

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklito View Post
Looks really nice!

I got mine working today after several weeks of work. Complete disassembly and cleaning or flushing of every component. Had evaporator professionally repaired where there were a few leak "tracks." It came back spotless and pressure-tested. New O-rings everywhere. Calibrated the POA to 26.5psi (very easy as it turns out). Stock 45 year old A6 was rinsed way too many times with expensive ACDelco PAG150 until it was clean. New receiver-drier at the very last moment, then obsessive-compulsive evacuation which I left for 3 days. Final one hour evacuation and recharged her today. Have three 12oz cans in there at the moment and I think it needs just a touch more. Original sticker on the compressor says 3.25lbs R12. I'm using 80% which comes to 41.6oz of R135, and 3 cans provides 36oz. At this point the test drive showed 40 degrees at the driver side vent, but by the time I was done it was only in the upper 80's here.

One thing I found interesting, and I'd like to know if this is a useful way of "seeing" that you are finally full of refrigerant: My POA is set to 26.5. As I filled with each successive can, the low side would "take" the can, then pump down to 26.5. After 3 cans it's still at 26.5 on the low side, and 225-240 on the high side. I'm thinking that I need a little more R134 in there so that the low side is just "dipping" into that 26.5 setting? It sits there like a rock right now. What do you experts think?
what dryer did you end up going with. also what condenser did you use? planning my ac project right now

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote