View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Riboflav1n

Re: 1991 Suburban 2500 2wd 350/4L80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
This is a good place to tell us a little bit about how you ended up with the rig, why you got it. What you want to do with it, etc. That paint sure looks like it could be cleaned and preserved. I've been able to make 40-year-old paint look better than you'd expect. I actually only work on it by hand though, because it can be fragile. I use a lot of meguiar's stuff. I assume that it's single stage, no clear coat? I'd give it a good washing. Then use an iron fallout remover. Then clay bar it including glass and chrome. Then use Maguire's number 7 to soak into the paint itself. Then a light compound, a polish, and a wax. All by hand, and I go panel by panel. Takes me a couple/3 days on a rig that I haven't cleaned before. If it takes you more than a day, like me, then you'll want to rewash panels before you go to work on them. You don't want to start rubbing the fine dust into the paint. If you keep it indoors though, no need.
Wow, that's quite a regimen for the paint. I down for it, though, I'd love to rescue this paint. I'm going to look further into this, thanks!