View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #49
highwinger

Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Looks like quite a bit to me. That kind of stuff always takes longer than you think it is going to......

LockDoc
That's the truth...for example, to install the insulator (from Edelbrock) that didn't come with gaskets, I had to search if gaskets are needed (consensus: they are needed), figure out which ones I need and where they are available locally which is becoming increasingly difficult. I didn't realize the primaries & secondaries are different sizes on the Eddie 1406. They aren't as diff as a Q-jet, but not equal like the spacer. After I pulled the carb, I saw the intake is two ovals, not one square, not 4 square...yada. Luckily, Advance had the gasket options and a new 1406 with gasket to compare. So now I have three different shapes between the carb and intake. Hard to say if that reduces performance since I'm not obstructing the paths. It may have been best to have a single square opening like the gaskets...oh well...it got me to work today, so I'm claiming success. I also think it helped hot starts, too, which was the ultimate motivation.

In short...it's the research, decision and part location stuff that takes the most time.
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote