View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #39
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Jeep rolling off Black Bear Road

Taylor is a fun trail for sure. The snow levels and resulting melt changes that trail every year. I don't think I've seen it the same way any time we've tackled it. The climb out of the creek has been really easy one time and crazy hard the next. Last time we took it I let my then 17-year-old son take the wheel of my old '75 K5 over it. Only stalled it once at the hard spot and by some miracle, the body came out untouched.

We camped on the Aspen side of the pass that night. The next day we were on fumes and really needed some fuel. Only place to fill was right in Aspen. We got lots of nasty looks from the folks at the gas station. Admittedly, the K5 was pretty crusty and not quite up to the supercar levels of vehicle quality Aspen is known for. We boogied right out of there. Taking Indy out of Aspen is the quickest way home for us. We didn't realize that just outside of town the road is narrow enough two cars can barely pass by going in opposite directions. It's paved, but the road is cut out of the side of the mountain and for some reason, they couldn't go much wider. It's well marked to tell you it's narrow, but the upper crust types don't fall under those rules I guess. Our side was on the edge, with a guardrail that I was within inches of touching (the kid was watching for me) and spme lady coming the other way in a Range Rover was driving over the center line and into what little of a lane I had. She had the balls to deliver a crusty look my way like I was the one in the wrong.

Next time I do Taylor I'll go back via Pearl Pass to Crested Butte. At least it won't have any traffic over it.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote