View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #40
1976gmc20

Re: Jeep rolling off Black Bear Road

Quote:
lady coming the other way in a Range Rover was driving over the center line and into what little of a lane I had
I guess it started a long time ago. We were coming home from shopping in Gunnison one winter while my wife was (not! ) expecting the twins. Taylor Canyon was pretty clear so our K10 was in 2wd. Somebody coming down in a Wagoneer (the "Range Rover" of those days) with Texas plates came around a corner way over the center line and I had to dodge to avoid a head on collision. I tried to pull back out but without 4wd couldn't get steerage and got sucked in really deep in the ditch. Snow was up to the window on the passenger side. I dug and dug until my shovel handle broke and then some different folks in another Wagoneer came along and took us to their fancy house to warm up. That little rich subdivision (I'm sure you know where I mean ) had a year round caretaker (a local guy) and he came and got us out with a K20 pickup. He had to chain the back of his pickup to a tree across the road and winch us out. It's a wonder some other idiot didn't come along and make a big wreck! All of this must have been before the big snow slide that winter and I wrecked my knee trying to get the tracks back on a dozer.

I tried to go up Taylor Pass in my brand new 1973 K20 early in the summer. The water was really high and I couldn't get traction to drive up the waterfall coming out of the creek crossing. It was impossible to even see the rocks to try to figure out where to steer. For some reason I never got around to trying it again, until fall 1980 when a bunch of us rode up there with Johnny Hale* in his "old" pickup (which maybe 5-7 yrs old at the time already looked like a wreck because he had used it so hard).

* long gone I'm sure so I feel free to post his name but no one here would probably have known of him anyway
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote