View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #112
KMC3420

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
Thanks, I'm always trying to improve my fabrication skills- even though it's just a hobby for me. I have made almost everything you see in the last few posts. I did buy the coilover tabs from a company that waterjets them out (ebay but made in the usa). I used my Mig on the coilovers, trailing arms and rear end. I have a tig but t's a lot easier/faster to mig for heavy duty/dirty stuff.

I have so much respect for production welders and fabricators. It's a hard way to make a living. I think I had over 8 hours of finish welding time in the two arms/mounts.
Agree with that! They have hard jobs for sure, dirty and Smokey in most cases, and hot or super cold. I am waiting out winter on my project but have started to learn to tig. Started on steel with just mediocre results and switched to aluminum and am getting better results. My biggest struggle is feathering the pedal once my puddle is established. I get my puddle going, dab, and get moving but as I am moving I am heating the part up more than necessary. But at times when I feather the pedal and I let off too much. It’s a fine balance.