View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #119
MikeB

Re: where was your truck originally sold?

Some of the photos here remind me of the days when dealerships were downtown on corner lots. There were typically 3-4 cars sitting in the small showrooms right next to sidewalks, and another 10-20 cars out in back or across the street. For the most part, the salesmen were professionals, not rookies off the street. And they didn't try to sell us extended warranties or dealer add-ons to run up the price.

Then sometime in the late 70s/early 80s, we started seeing F&I (Finance and Insurance) guys trying to sell us extra stuff after we had already agreed to a vehicle price. There was even a consulting company called "Automotive Profit Builders" to teach dealerships how to sell things like $20 worth of paint sealant for $495. I see where these guys are still around. Watch out for dealerships that use them: https://www.apb.cc/

Also, after agreeing to a vehicle price, tell your salesman that you will NOT be buying anything additional, so you don't want to hear high-pressure sales pitches from the F&I guy. And if you plan to finance through the dealer, agree on an interest rate up front.

Have to admit here that I sold cars for two dealerships while between real jobs, which is where I learned the stuff above along with more tricks of the trade. Each job lasted 3-4 weeks before I found a real job. That was typical of the turnover.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote