View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
SulphuriousSam

Re: Sam's Man Cave 66 Project

We got it to the shop and first order of business was 6 lug wheels that would fit and some rubber…that took a little while so it became second order of business and starting her up was now the first order of business!

Took about thirty minutes of tinkering, we bypassed the ignition since we didn’t have a key, found a battery to use, and she fired right up. Had good oil pressure according to the factory gauge on the dash, but she sure smoked enough to run off all the skeeters in the county. Looks like a valve or ring job (or both) is in her future…

The upshot is she idled well and ran very smooth with no knocks or unusual noises. I haven’t had much opportunity to diagnose the smoke situation as there’s three other vehicles in the shop and my poor 66 is relegated to a spot under the trees unless we make room to work on it. Once we’ve gotten her engine bugs fixed, starting and stopping good, I can move her to my garage for the other stuff. I’m not much of a mechanic so for now she stays where the gear heads can work without having to come to her.

Engine is a 283, 2 bolt main

(Turns out the easiest way to see the casting numbers was to shine a flashlight from underneath in the wheel well then slide my iPhone over the top of the engine . No matter how I contorted I couldn’t force my fat head between the engine and firewall)

With 3 speed manual column shift tranny. I haven’t crawled under there yet to figure out which one though.

After looking her over and a little bit of research with the VIN tells me she was built in St. Louis, I’d say it’s mostly a base model truck but with the custom cab and trim. The heater is the Econoline model, no A/C, a pretty much unmolested dash with cutouts for the factory radio (shockingly the previous owner(s) did not hack this apart).

The seat is in excellent condition and I suspect it’s been recovered or replaced at some point.

The bed floor has been pulled out long ago. The only thing holding it on to the frame is the tail light wiring

Time for a smoke break and a cup of Joe. I've got more to follow soon. I know what picture fanatics you guys are so no worries. I'll put up lots. Actually you may tell me to stop

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote