View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #17
MDFarms

Re: 6" LIFT KIT OPTIONS "OFF ROAD DESIGN" Vs SKYJACKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
There are several 16"+ leaf spring long travel kits for many trucks available and all use a tension style shackle. ORD seems to be focused on rock crawling. Just order some 5" springs direct and forget about it, will be fine. Your bump stop determines where axle stops not the box. Regarding axle location, If you want the axle centered in bottom of well move pin 1" back. Want centered with top of arch (stock) leave centered in spring pack. Unless you are wanting to move any hangers for longer springs I would suggest to leave the stock ones. Only reason I changed my front hangers is the military wrap Deavers would not fit in stock hangers. Ord sells an "extreme travel" shackle that is designed for use with a tension style shackle to increase droop. Not sure where they are going with the info. Maybe like some older companies, ie Holley. Trying to hold on to there older tech/investments?

Edit- I am using 5.13's with 37's on my truck with OD. If you want stock like performance use 4.10's with 35's. More freeway and do not care much about performance use 3.73. My truck originally has 3.73 and 31's. Revved a bit high on highway but fine for me. In my experience an old carbed 350/th350 will average 10-12 mpg empty or loaded od or not regardless of tire size and gearing.
ALCAN V's ORD

Alcan said to measure front to center pin and then center pin to back hangar following spring (26 + 26 = 52) I ask him if that would keep it centered and he said it would? I ask him about moving back and he said not needed that he takes all arches into consideration to keep things aligned???

Now when speaking to ORD he seemed like he didnt want to explain or help with any of my questions, told me their (ORD) spring package although built by Alcan would not be the same as Alcan's and that he would use the "ORD" 4" spring and shackle flip only to achieve 5" of lift.

He said the Alcan spring will not ride as well as the "ORD Design" that Alcan builds for them?.

He also said I do have to use the shock extensions and they are one size fits all and I may have to cut then down? I ask how shock extensions mount or if he had pics he said go on website and see install instructions ( I couldnt find the instructions on the website) I Can't imagine having to cut and fabercate those as I feel thet should be done to fit that lift.

To be honest he acted as if he didnt want to explain to me why Alcan's 5" option would not work and why his was better other than Alcan will bottom out on spring hanger or box?

I ask him if I still went with his set up could I get them paint free so I could powder coat with frame and he said NO thats not an option. I said Alcan gave that option and he said I would have to tear down blast and paint individually.

I had impression he wanted to sell the "whole kit" so I said would you work with me and sell me Alcan's 5" springs with your components minus axle flip and he said NO.

I told him all I was trying to do is use my original hangars and get a better ride and he had no options other than to use his 3" spring which I would not need a shackle flip but 3" is not enough.

He has almost pushed me away from using the "ORD" set up and has me nervous about using Alcan alone as he said they will not hold up or get same ride along with they will not have any payload either which I dont need other than gas.

Nicely put he was not very helpful and didnt want to take the time to explain "why" either way. I hung up feeling like he could care less about my concerns and didnt want to find a solution for me. I'm in sales as well for a Major Dirt Equipment Manufacturer and I would never leave a customer without a solution or explanation to why we could not do something they questioned.

To me thats not a very good business practice when you have a buyer willing to pay a premium for what is said to be one of the best lifts on market when being told by many others its a waste of money for a pavement pounder and occasional sand dune truck.

Last edited by MDFarms; 06-03-2021 at 07:54 AM.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote