View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #55
Chevyland

Re: 72 Super Roadtrip-Coast to Coast

Yesterday was a full day. A big thanks to "Tom" the owner of Jack Smiths transmission & Auto service. After oneof the big chain auto shops didn't want to touch the truck, I asked them to send me in the direction of an independent shop. When I got there Tom was just coming into work. I told him were I was coming from and where I was going, a what I thought was wrong with the truck. Within the next 5 minutes he had it up on the rack, diagnosed it was indeed the center support. He would look for the part and order the u-joints too, just in case we needed them. When it was all apart and ready to go back together he noticed where the retaining ring snaps into the yoke the metal was worn and was worried about it holding together for such a long trip. That's when We decided to go visit the Biitmore for the day
We got back about 430 and they were just finishing up. He had found a new yoke and basically rebuilt the driveline ,transmission to differential
Also put new upper and lower radiator hoses on and tightened all battery to starter connections

Tom , Thank you very much

Here is a picture of the wall art in his office. It is very fitting for the start of this trip. It may be hard to see in the shadow but in the lower area of USA it says
Coast to Coast
Attached Images

Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote