Thread: gauge question
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: gauge question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTHarvey View Post
I have a 1967 Chevy PU, equipped with factory ammeter, oil pressure and temperature gauges. I have some issues with the gauges, and thought I would get some advice from the forum. 1. The ammeter doesn't work at all. 2. The speedometer works, but the odometer doesn't. I can buy a new repro speedo (with odometer) for $75 from LMC, or I can spend about twice that and have the original rebuilt. Any advice on that choice? 3. The fuel gauge works, but when it is full, it reads about full plus a quarter. Actually it reads a quarter tank higher than truth all the time. Can this be fixed? 4. Similar situation on the oil gauge. When the engine is not running, it sits on the first mark, and when running at speed it reads above the top mark. In other words, it indicates one mark high all the time. And this be repaired? Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

I would check some of the salvage yards around you and see about getting a different gauge cluster. I'm wondering if someone has had the cluster apart and didn't get the needles in the correct positions when re-assembled.

You are not going to see much movement from the ammeter. It may move one needle width to the left when cranking the engine over and one needle width to the right after the engine starts. You might want to check the 4 amp fuses at the front corners of the core support. There will be two small black fuse holders on the engine side of the core support. They could be corroded or the fuses bad.

The fuel gauge problem sounds like the float might need to be adjusted or the needle has been re-seated incorrectly.

The oil gauge is mechanical so the only way it could be off that much is if the needle was installed incorrectly or the Bourdon tube has been over pressurized and expanded.

You might want to inspect the cluster ground wire to make sure it is making good contact with the dash. (see picture below)

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote