View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #105
84chevyguyid

Re: 86 chevy crew cab 12 valve swap

Here is a different sort of diesel conversion, my dad built this about 10 years ago. This has been his hobby for the last 30+ years. He started going to Quartzite Az for the winter in the late 70's, had a fifth wheel trailer pulled with a dodge pickup. It was ok but he decided he would like a motor home better because there isnt much room in the cab of the pickup. He started looking at motor homes and couldnt see paying that much money for something he could build so he bought a 1968 International school bus that was 24 feet long and built a nice camper out of it. Has a 392 gas motor, would get 10 mpg and go about anywhere a pickup would go. Built like a tank, high ground clearance, easy to get parts for. That worked for a few years then he decided he want something bigger so he bought a 34 foot school bus, pulled the drive train out of it and bought a truck with a 3406 cat motor and overdrive trans, and a high geared rear end and swapped in it, and built another nice camper out of it. Still gets the 10 mpg, will roll down the road 75 pulling his jeep cherokee behind it. More room inside, better for full time living than camping. Used that one for 10 years or so then my uncle found a good deal on a couple of GMC city buses and he couldnt resist the bug to build and did this one. Took him several years to finish as he only worked on it when he was in Idaho for the summer. This one has 2/12 inches of urethane sprayed inside of it, and he used vinyl thermopane house windows in it to make it more energy efficient. Has an 8-71 detroit motor and a 3 speed overdrive trans, will cruise 75 down the road, all air bag suspension, rides really nice. gets around 7 mpg pulling his jeep. The sad part is he is getting too old and frail to use it anymore so I get to keep it "lubed up" for him and take it up camping/4 wheeling on occasion. Headed up tonight for the weekend to go play. Anyway so here is another type of "diesel" conversion...lol
Attached Images

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote