View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #18
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: TH400 pan still leaking!

Hi gmebey,

I went through this last summer and thought I'd share my experience in case it helps. I expended a great deal of energy trying to fix what I believed was a pan leak, that was not a pan leak at all.

After changing several gaskets and lots of cleaning, I discovered it was the shift shaft seal that was leaking down to the pan lip, which in turn leaked to the gasket and made it "appear" the gasket was leaking.

Replaced the shift shaft seal and it STILL leaked! Replaced it again, it still leaked at the shaft seal. Doing some research here on the forum, came across a post where someone else had the same issue and turned out to be a small bur on the shaft, where the seal slid over.

I took a small fine file and sure enough, there was a bur. After a cleaning it up and replacing the shaft seal for the third time, it sealed, no more leaks.

Tip: Clean up around the shaft area and get completely dry and clean. Tape a piece of paper towel so that it sits under the shaft seal, let it sit over night. Inspect the next day. If it's red, you've found the source of the leak. It can leak right down to the pan, then onto the gasket itself making it "appear" it's a gasket leak.

Hope that helps and hope you get it resolved. Best wishes.

Wade
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote