View Single Post
Old 12-22-2023, 12:36 PM   #77
TX3100Guy

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
a billet main bearing cap would be nice but would still need to be line bored so it lines up with the other main bearings correctly and has the correct crush to hold the bearing tight but not too tight. I suppose the machinist could set up and center the boring tool on the other main bearing bores and then simply finish the new bearing cap to the same diameter.
anyway, good idea to keep the engine in the frame till the dude shows up and sees what you have, he may have another idea that isn't so intense in the labour dept. that will give you time to clean up your shop floor, haha.
what I have used to clean the interior of engines , diffs and other castings while in place, and slowly dripping oil for days, is a garden sprayer filled with your choice of solvent. hang some plastic around the area so it doesn't get everywhere, cover the floor around the area, place a large catch pan, throw on a good respirator and glove up. I have a couple of these sprayers for different solvents and found that some have oil resistant internal parts, like the ones used by concrete workers for the sealer they use. some also have longer and more user friendly wands and spray ends that are awesome for axle tubes etc. anyway, I hate constantly hand pumping them so I drilled a hole near the top, so my fingers can get the valve stem parts inside and installed a metal tire valve stem so I can pressure it up to 10 psi with the shop air line and a regulator. works great. flushes any debris along with oil etc. some brake clean when done leaves a pretty dry surface that mostly stops dripping. a kiddie pool works great for those larger clean ups like this. I buy brake clean by the 5 gallon jug, (it lasts forever that way, I can share it with the family boys and is a lot more economical plus the hand sprayer actually uses less that the high pressure aerosol cans) and have a small hand pump sprayer with viton seals inside. it can be pressured up low to avoid overspray everywhere or high for whatever is needed. the nozzle allows variuos spray patterns as well. I have several of these for different uses and buy bulk solvents (like engine degreaser, light oil (wd40 equivalents etc) to save shop supply costs but also because the hand sprayer is a lot more variable in spray patterns and pressures than the aerosols.

https://bloomco.ca/products/2-gallon-pump-sprayer

https://www.bline.ca/bolt-in-valve-stems

https://www.amazon.ca/PRO-Pump-Spray...8313866e10cde6
Excellent info thank you. He did mention the need to line bore it. More to come after the holiday. Many thanks.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote