View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #41
Slowguy

Re: What do I coat my frame with?

To do por15 correctly expect to spend some TIME. I did all the reading I could. I had used por15 in the past but it didn’t hold up that well. It’s all in the prep.

This time I did (as was recommended):

1. Sand blast. Not required but makes life easier.
2. Degreaser. Unnecessary but came with the prep kit so I used.
3. Etch and prep. It’s phosphoric acid that converts the rust and etches the metal to promote the por to adhere. There are many other phosphoric acid products you can buy from the local hardware store. Krud Kutter is one.
4. Must be completely dry before then the first coat of por15 applied. Light coat is best.
5. Wait until the first coat is “finger drag” dry. Usually and hour or two. Then applied 2nd coat. It’s important to not let it dry fully or nothing really sticks to a fully cured por15
6. After finger drag dry 2nd coat apply a dusting of por15 tie or bond coat primer.
7. Now you can wait as long as you want to apply the 2nd coat of primer. Let that primer dry and you can finish it off with whatever top coat you want because now anything pretty much will adhere to the primer coat.
8. I used Eastwood chassis black. It was tricky for me to get the correct coverage. A little to heavy and you get shiny spots. A little too light and it’s really dull.

It was the most time consuming paint I’ve ever done but I can say it’s probably the most durable too. I didn’t know all this going into it and probably wouldn’t have gone this route because of the time involved. Most important things to remember: you must not let the por15 dry completely if you are going on top of it with something. Almost everything put on top of it will scratch off with a fingernail and that’s VERY disappointing. You can always scuff sand the cured por 15 to help but who wants to do that? Por15 left open to exposure will get a chalky finish. It won’t keep that super high gloss shine. Exposed to sun only increases that effect.

First pic is after blasting then etching. Bare metal but looks white.

Second pic is por15

Third is bond coat primer.
Attached Images

Last edited by Slowguy; 01-01-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote