View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: removing fine scratches from alum. mag/alum. polish do it?

Think about what you stated in getting the caps polished in the first place. You used 400 grit and then 1500 grit paper to get where you are at. This is my suggestion to close this up. get out the 1500 grit paper once again and work on those scratches a little more, THEN go get some 2500 grit "wet-N-Dry sandpaper and use WD-40 as a lubricant to keep it from filling up with metal. believe me, if you haven't done this--it works great. The 2500 grit will make the scratches smaller, faster than any polishing compound. If you wish get some 3000 grit for a final polish. I would then suggest that you go to some place like Harbor Freight or Sears and purchase some small buffing wheels and some sticks of polishing rouge, but that may not be avialable to you in your area. The Mothers aluminum poish will take the small scratches down to almost invisible, but it will take time and elbow grease. There will always be scratches, but you can polish them down to where they are invisible to the eye. If you can find some more coarse rubbing compound than the Mothers, such as "Simi-Chrome" or "FLITZ".

I would finsih the metal polishing with Mothers "Billet Polish" for a mirro finish.

I have a grinder pedestal set in my garage with buffing wheels on it to do aluminum and it can get monotonous trying to get one polished, but it can be done.