View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
DetroitDan

Re: I didnt want another project but...

was hoping someone could help me identify the lift, because I need to order shocks right away. idk if 4 and 6 inch lift shocks are supposed to be interchangeable, I did it on my 82 k30. Put in a 4 inch lift with Rancho shocks, but the springs were junk so I put in a new set of 6 inch springs and the shocks fit. Rides lousy but I dont know how good it could ride, given what it is.
If I could find shocks that say they fit 4-6 I'd probably be satisfied.
I dont think I've ever seen a 4 inch lift, all spring. It's always the 6 inch lifts Ive seen with rear springs, so I was leaning toward it being a 6.
Need to find a decent shock that is a good price and will work ok for 95% onroad driving. (BTW, these are New England roads I'm talking about, which are worse than the dirt roads in the south.) I know Bilsteins are the best, but I already know I dont want to spend that much. I would go with a regular on-road truck shock if they made one long enough. I've used Ranchos plenty of times, never had any complaints really. Had some KYB Monomax on a big 3500 diesel and really liked them, but they are pricy and maybe overkill for a little lightweight truck like a K5. I replaced the factory Bilsteins on an Avalanche 1500 Z71 with Pro Comp es 3000s and didn't like them at all. Pretty rough ride after that. But, maybe they'd work better on a leaf spring truck. idk..

Cant really check the truck out yet, bought it but on the way home I dropped it off to have exhaust done. I doubt I'll be able to find numbers on the rusted old shocks on it. Is there something I can measure to give me an idea 4 or 6? I measured to the bottom of the rear bumper its about 27-28. I think the rims are 10 wide. They will rub the fender hitting a bump at full lock, which sounds like 4 inch.