Thread: BBC overheating
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 04:38 AM   #20
nail pounder

Re: BBC overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmie1965 View Post
Ok I know a lot of you have put big blocks in these truck. What have you done to keep them cool??? I dropped in a 77 454 about 3 months ago and have fighting with since. I have a aluminium 4 core rad that I got off of Amazon. It's a oz cooling. It can with a shroud and electric fan. Did some researching and found out that fan was only 1700 cfm. Didn't cool at all. I've replaced it with a 3000 cfm fan and that helped alot. Still runs 230-240. I have put a serp setup from a 89 burn with a hiflow milodon water pump and hiflow 160 tstat. Dropped temps to around 220. I've ordered a zirgo ultra hiperformance 3600 cfm fan. Should be here next weekend. I've looked at several pics here on the forum of bbc trucks. Some look like they are still running stock rads. Is anyone running a us rad or have any info on them. Have been looking at their hiperformance and optima rads. They are very expensive but I'm sure they are worth every penny. Do I need to be looking harder in that direction. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Are you running ported or manifold vacuum on the advance? When I switched to manifold my SBC ran at least 10° cooler.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote