View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #121
56taskforce

Re: Starting my first build - 1966 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot_Douglas View Post
Ratty,
I certainly did - actually, it was my plan all along - HOWEVER: I wasn't smart enough to take measurements before taking the cab off and removing the steering shaft from the vicinity. If I did as I planned (and what you suggested) - the angle would have been too large (> 30 ) and regular joints would bind. I suppose $250 worth of double-cardan joints would've sufficed, but this way is about $100 cheaper.

Hindsight being 20/20 - a set of Speedway rams horns or block huggers would allow a much cleaner steering setup. The tube from the #1 cylinder is right smack-dab where the shaft wants to be. I may address this when I have the cab off this fall to start the bodywork - cut and move the tube around a bit.

My excuse? Stainless headers that I don't have to worry about disintegrating under header wrap - all for $5 - something deep inside me wants to make them work out.
Well I would say for your fist build you have taken quite an endeavor making surprisingly few mistakes for even a seasoned veteran much less a beginner. Every thing is looking great to me I would have to put it together and blow it apart a hundred times to get this far. I guess I build on hind sight
56taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote