View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #19
sameyeam

Re: 72 Chevy K20 Wrecker restoration

A quick update, I ordered and received new rear springs, bolted those in and I had the axle all lined up and had the u bolts on and noticed that the springs weren't sitting flush down on the spring perch. I had the full weight of the truck sitting on there and they wouldn't sit down flush so I jacked the truck back up and made sure nothing was in the center pin holes and they seem clean, after some rough measuring I think the center pin heads are longer than the old ones and wont let everything come together nice. I am gonna try and clean out the holes a bit with some sand paper just to be sure they're clean and try again. If that doesn't work then I am gonna grind down on the center pin until everything sits flush. Then I have found a pick and pull yard with a good selection of 60s and 70's trucks and had several 4x4 67-72's that I was able to get some good parts off of including upper shock mounts. So I am gonna clean those up and paint them and put them on. I also found a center drag link for the steering (mine is bent) which I found out was very expensive to buy new so I snagged that and will put new tie rod ends on that. Another change in my build is I have decided to go down to at least a roller and have the frame media blasted. After several hours of wire wheeling and brushing and needle scaling, I am unhappy with how some of the nooks and crannies are turning out so I decided I don't wanna skimp on this step and I am gonna have it blasted and then I will paint it with my Eastwood frame paint and that should be it for the frame the rest of my time with the truck.

So not much changed physically lately but I do have a sustainable plan and Ill be working towards getting a roller chassis to the media blaster in the coming 2 months most likely.
2007 Pontiac Vibe (daily)
sameyeam is offline   Reply With Quote