View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 12:31 AM   #32
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut64052 View Post
Great thread you have going here.

Question:
Do you still recall what evaporator you used? I'm getting ready to restore my air and, while I'd like to use the original POA setup, I don't wanna hassle with finding a working one (tested mine and it doesn't work anymore-- a DOA POA), so I'm going to build a CCOT system, which looks like what you're doing. I've done considerable web surfing and it looks like new manufacture POAs have gone the way of the Dodo bird . . . at least for now.

The '73 and up evap cases are pretty similar looking. Also some 70's cars had similar cases. Wondered if you remembered what you used for an approximate fit.

A DOA POA. Yup, seen many of them. The only thing that is made these days (that I know of) is a POA eliminator kit. It is kind of a neat deal, but I haven't seen one in several years so I forget what it consisted of.

As far as what evaporator I used--I forgot that also. I do know that you can not use the '73 and up unit because of the "U" shaped low side (outlet). This unit will put the accumulator into either the fenderwell or the hood hinge or spring--I forget which. I tried MANY different ones and what I ended up using was not something that seemed like it should work by application, but in form it worked great. This system has not been charged yet, but I got all of these parts for a buddy of mine to use in his K5 and it works great in his truck. I'll get into my file cabinet and do some digging in the monstrous file titled "Suburban" and see if I can find the invoice and get you a p/n.