View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Thumbs down BEWARE of new fuel tank sending unit floats that leak. 67-72's

BEWARE...I doubt they all come from the same place so I guess its hit or miss.
The floats on these afternarket sending units need to be changed to plastic before you install it unless you want to do it twice.

A few years ago I ordered some stuff from a board vendor and one of the things I got was a fuel tank sending unit. Shortly after installing the sending unit I noticed the fuel gauge was not working. After checking everything else because I knew I had a new sending unit I finally pulled it back out and there it was......a float full of gas. I contacted the vendor to let them know but just went ahead and bought a plastic float to replace the brass one that was in there. Jump forward a few years and I put in a small order to the same vendor that included 2 sending units. Got around to installing one of the sending units a few months later and all was good for about a week. I looked down one day and there it was again. EMPTY. This time I went straight to the sending unit and guess what I found....yep.....the float was full of gas. Since the vendor only does business VIA fax or internet I emailed them requesting they send me some new floats (2 emails now over 45 days) and a third today. I have yet to hear back.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-25-2013 at 10:38 AM.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote