View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
hemi43

Re: 70 Jimmy 4x4 driveline upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-nuts View Post
There’s also a semi local low mile (<40k) 2016 Sierra 6.2L Complete pullout w 8L90E and xfer case for 5500.

I know the xfer case won’t work, but this is another option that obviously would require more work but actually Maybe less expensive in the long run from my first plan. Thoughts? I don’t want to experiment to see what fits and what works. I want to know what i need and order it. ��
Going with the 2016 engine will be too expensive in the long run.Trying to use it's factory computers will be a PITA, so aftermarket is the way to go but it's not cheap. Also, putting in any overdrive will require you to get rid of those 3.08 gears to something like a 4.10 if you haven't done so already. Make sure you check if an adapter is available to go from the 8L90 to the 205 transfer case.
I always tell people looking to swap to a later model engine/transmission to use a 2002 5.3.
2002 was the last year of drive by cable, and the factory computer is easy to hack. The problem is that those engines are getting difficult to find with low miles.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote