View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #255
crakarjax

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971_c10 View Post
Right on! Maybe we could do some code trading if you're up to it. Of course, I need to write some first. Are you switching to python b/c you're not familiar with the depths of C? In the arduino IDE, just make your own header file and include it and BAM! you've got the world of C open to you (until the compiler gets stuck). I find C much more realtime friendly and I can control memory way better with C if I need to. Or if you're running out of space in the Arduino (assuming you're using an Uno or similar?) the Teensy is an arduino conforming board but that's it. 32 bits, 96 MHz clock speed, tons of memory and I/O out the wazoo on a smaller form factor. The thing that amazes me is how fast the Teensy boots compared to my Uno. I have a simple test code for RGB pixels, and when I plug the Uno in to the USB it boots in about a second from once the USB makes initial contact. The Teensy boots and is running before I even get the USB fully plugged in. You could also check out the adafruit feather series boards as you can get wifi and bluetooth on those things. Seems you could replicate the Accuair e-level setup if you got sporty enough (and wanted to go that far). The boot time is the only thing I'd caution on the Pi. Even stripped down, the Pi still takes several seconds to boot. I digress ...
Yeah, would love to collaborate! That teensy looks awesome, I really needed more I/O ports and you're right, that thing has plenty! I'm most likely going to do a hybrid arduino/pi setup because of that startup time issue (which I hadn't though of!), the lack of many I/O ports on the pi, and the expected complexity of the codebase. I wrote a library for the arduino to do wear-leveling in the EEPROM because I was going to store ride height data in it, but after finishing that project I realized how much time I had just spent so that I could do something that is natively available on the pi... and I hope to run a ton of stuff on the pi, be able to update the code remotely via wifi, put together a bluetooth app etc..