View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #164
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Re: 1971 K20- project just get driveable!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Excellent! Running and driving. Glad you got it out of the garage under its own power. I've never seen the inside of a brake booster. No idea how the spring would shatter like that. So just a few loose ends to take care of and the goal is met, a bit late, but nobody is gonna penalize you for that.
Funny you mention that, I was thinking not much has happened since I remember being at that point a couple months ago- then I remembered at that time, it had the front axle with no lockouts, and a broken axle, no brake system at all, no power steering, leaky worn eaton. So, I guess its come a long way, even though there is so much left to do. Pretty much everything on this truck needed to be rebuilt. I am realizing that it will be almost fully restored, except for perhaps the sheetmetal by the time I'm done with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Well, i'm a little jealous of how nice your rear brake lines turned out great job! My flex line was mounted to a bracket that bolted to the cover and put it in an odd spot, but i just bent my lines and put it in the same location, yours looks clean!

I had no idea there was brake fluid resistant paint on the market, wish i had known before i painted mine, but I'll remember for next time.

First time i have seen the inside of the power booster as well, i cant help but wonder how strong the spring pressure would be if not broken?

Nice work!
Had to have the machinist at work drill a hole in a metric bolt for the one front caliper, it was metric for some reason and the new hoses only left 2 threads engaged. Nobody carried a longer metric banjo bolt so I had to make/have this one made:

Finished welding in the brackets and spent forever getting all the air out of the system. Gravity bleeding did not work, what a waste of time that was. I ended up having to hook up vacuum pump then get a buddy to help me bleed the old fashioned way. Fought a couple leaks in my new lines but am happy to report I finally won the battle and the pedal feels good. It will lock them up on snow

Made some brackets for the parking brake cables, so the system is bolt on:

Oh, and this is now consuming my time as well, tearing down walls and ripping up floor in the house for a new bathroom/master closet

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote