View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #283
dfairchild19

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

mmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
I think it would be worth alot of "noodle time" to figure out how to make the stock radiator and intercooler work. Benefits are: you already own it (you will be dumping plenty of money elsewhere in this thing before you are done), it has the correct size hose nipples on it, if you place it correctly you can use stock radiator hoses (do NOT underestimate how nice this little fact is--seriously), but what might be the biggest advantage is you can use the fan shroud that is offset for your fan mount and already the correct diameter for the fan you already have (another biggie in my opinion). Another board member, 72 tigger did it and I think it looks very clean (I really like how he solved the problem of the radiator cap being under the core support upper rail--very cool idea--[hint, steal this idea]). If you look closely you can see that he modified the hood latch for some extra clearance: (study this pic for a while, then let me know how you are going to do this with your parts)

My original thoughts were to use the radiator and intercooler from the Dodge to make things simple and because I already have it from the donor truck. My fan shroud is cracked but the cost of it over a new aluminum radiator and intercooler would be pocket change. I am not sure that I will need to use his idea for the radiator cap because i believe that the radiator is thin enough to fit between the main structure of the core support and it is possibly too tall to fit between the top rail and the bottom tray of the core support. Before bouncing these ideas off of you I thought I had decided to order a new aluminum radiator that would fit the 71 core support.

I see that his build was a body swap but that thing is clean!!!

Quote:
I would set the motor further back. I have less than an inch of clearance to the firewall. Every little bit you can keep up front will help when you figure out how to put the cool pack from the Dodge in your truck.
My cab is not completely fastened to the frame right now so I will do that and set the engine back another inch or so for room for the fan and cool pack.

Quote:
Ha, ha, man!! You're just getting started. Come talk to me when you get to the end and you only have big stuff left and only small places to put it!! My windshield washer reservoir has to be filled with a transmission funnel because I ran out of space before I ran out of things to install. Seriously, if I had a dime for every minute I stared at mine without doing anything other than thinking, I would have made money on the project long before it was done. You at least have a guide to direct you.
Well it wasnt the first time and it sure wont be the last! This drivetrain location is the biggest frustration yet, mainly due to the a/c compressor, but then again, none of this is easy especially with so many variables to conisder.

Quote:
It worked out well for me, but I recommend that you do not use it. When you adapt the cool pack from the Dodge to your truck (notice I said "when", not "if") you will use the hoses from the Dodge. The water inlet I used will create more headaches for you than it is worth. The biggest one is going to have to do with alternator mounting and belt routing. What you have works, keep it simple. Don't reinvent something that can be made to work.
I would love to use the factory Dodge compressor and alternator mounting points but I am very worried about my frame clearance. The mounting bracket for the compressor is about an inch from the edge of the frame without the compressor on it. This means that since I am boxing the frame, I will have to take out a decent offset "C" recess from the frame for the compressor clearance. The current outside of the framerail parallel with the compressor will need to become the inside of the new offset boxed framerail and possibly even a bit more to allow removal of the compressor bolts. Is this how you had envisioned this recess or did you think that it would be less? What do you think about this? I believe that I have the fab skills and I know I have the tools, but I am just worried that there may be a better option for this problem. Like you said it would be amazing to be able to use the factory Dodge serpentine routing and components, but I have never seen anyone create this much of an offset in a short section of frame maybe other than "C" notches for axles.

Quote:
Ding, ding, ding!!! This is what is going to make your life much easier than mine was at this point in the project.
Easier?? Ha Its already too easy!! haha

Quote:
My advice is keep what you have and make it work in its new home. There are several benefits to keeping what you have. The BIGGEST and most important is you can go into any parts house and telll them you have a '94 Dodge and you need an alternator or an a/c compressor or a belt tensioner. Think I can do that?? My alternator is Freightliner, my a/c compressor is Peterbilt, my tensioner is Kenworth. There is some crossover from brand to brand, but do you think I am going to be able to find this stuff in a parts store?? I will have to carry spares (which I do of some of the parts) or find a heavy truck parts house to get the goods. Not an ideal situation, but it is made better slightly because these parts are built to last compared to the light truck stuff, but still.
And this is probably the biggest advantage to keeping the factory Dodge setup and if I can convince myself that recessing the frame is the best thing to do then I will be able to keep that set up which would be very nice!!

Quote:
No, you didn't miss it. I did not use it.
Is there a certain reason you didnt use it? Do you have the cast or aluminum housing on your 4500?

Quote:
I'm glad, seriously. I know what you are going through and I'll admit there were many times I wished that I could ask someone how to do this or that or at least see a pic of how someone else did it. This is no small project.
Its nice reading through your thread and knowing talking with someone who understands exactly the obstacles down to the details of what I am going through with a build this in depth.

Quote:
Do it now. You will thank me when you are done. I think this thread reset me at least a half-dozen times. When you get further in and you have to choose what to work on today and you are trying to pick from, well, everything, sometimes someones post or question is all it takes to re-center yourself in the project and press on. Sometimes just going back through and looking at what you have done so far is helpful in maintaining forward progress.
I will try to create a build thread here in the next few days and throw in bits at a time to get it up to date as I have been pretty good and documenting pictures as I go along. It definately does help having input from others when trying to decide what to do next and even sometimes helping to decide how to do it.

Im sorry for taking up all of this room on your thread! I'll try to make my own asap.

Thanks for all of your help once again!!

Do you have any updates for your build btw?
dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote