View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 06:04 PM   #8
JohnIL

Test Results and More Weirdness

I have test results.

I think we have 2nd gear after all. We temporarily installed a tach on the hood and went for a test drive. At first, I couldn't select all the gears manually. The column shifter would only go down to the the 2nd gear position. Back to the garage. After some adjustment and a little shift linkage customization, we're now reliably getting all 7 positions, from park all the way down to 1st gear. Off on another test drive.

Once we got outside of town, I came to a complete stop, then drove forward under moderate throttle. The engine wound up to 3200 rpm before the first shift. That was around 30 mph. This is what I assumed was 3rd gear. But, the tach said we were at 2000 rpm. I could be wrong, but my gut told me that was too high for 3rd gear at 30-35 mph. My brain told me that must be 2nd gear.

So, to test that theory, I stopped again and pulled the shifter all the way down into 1st, like Grounded63 suggested. I wound it up to 3000 rpm, then moved the shifter to the 2nd position. It did not shift until I got to 3200. That's second gear, at 30 mph and 2000 rpm. I wound it up again to 3000 and moved the shifter to the 3rd position. At 3200, it shifted again. That's 3rd gear at 60 mph at 2000 rpm. Keep in mind we're on a country road in a fairly untested truck. I moved the shifter to the OD(4th) position and poured on a little more coal. I lost my nerve at 75 mph and the engine was only turning about 2800rpm.

Now I'm thinking we probably have all gears, but the transmission is shifting WAY late. Based on the later model GM pickups I've owned, by 75 mph, we should have been well into overdrive and turning about 1500 rpm. I think the shift points in this thing are just really really high. I've already reset the TV cable and it doesn't seem to change the shifting characteristics.

Is it possible someone put a shift kit in this thing that has raised the shift points dramatically? That would make sense for a drag car, but not for a stock-ish half ton pickup.

Any other ideas?

As I said before, I'm way out of my depth. I know how a stock 700r4/4L60 acts, but I don't know much else about them. Thanks for any advice you can share.

John

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=838676
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote