View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Seeking education on Caliper Washers

Thought occurred to me before installing the front brake hoses today the replacement washers aren’t the same as the old ones. The washers pulled off the truck are ridged like the hose fitting and caliper surfaces. The replacements washers that came with common replacement hoses maybe twice as thick and have a smooth surface.

So did some research, some folks see leaks at the caliper. One or so say “use the ridged washers” or however described. I ended up at NAPA & ordered the same washers as the old ones. Not sure if they’re “pre-ridged”, the guy at the counter didn’t mention it where he generally would.

So on the way out I see a mechanic I’ve known 30 years and mentioned it. He says all the new washers squish and he’s never had a leak. Great guy, fair mechanic IMO though surely well-versed, back in the day I paid him to replace my 71 ignition cylinder I showed him how to do, don’t ask Anyway, I’d think odds are he’s right.

But that got me to thinking, perhaps all caliper washers had a smooth surface to begin with, form to seal? In other terms, if you pull your hose off you should always replace the washers with new and all “squish” to seal? Makes me wonder about torque, I’d think half a grunt and you’re done.

Which is right?
A. Use former thinner type washer, that forms to seal.
B. Use former thinner type washer that comes pre-ridges
C. Use thicker replacement washer that forms to seal.
D. Can't believe U started a thread on this.
E. Other
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-05-2020 at 05:11 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote