View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #77
landarts
landarts

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

Well I had a few set backs on the truck. Over a week ago when I was on vacation I had a goal to get the back of the truck and front bed panel painted. As it was winding down to the end of the vacation and the work on the truck I was able to sand down the first spray of high build primer on both areas. When I sprayed it either I had the settings wrong on my gun or I just did not thin the primer enough and it caused textured finish. As it was coming out of the gun I could see that it was a little textured but I thought it would flatten out. Well it did not and I basically had to sand it down which took another full day.

After that was wrapped up I thought I would take a break from the truck for a day or two and then attack it again. The mishap with the primer would not allow me to reach my goal on finishing before the end of my vacation. So I have always found when I get set backs or things don't go as planned like the roof skin replacement that I did not plan on, I take a day or so to let things simmer. Come back with another plan and forge on.

So last Friday I went a head and sprayed another coat of primer and this time I actually added some reducer to thin it out a little bit and it went on better but still not great. I let it set on the truck for 48 hours to let in cure in the heated garage so it would not gum up the paper like last time. Spent all day Sunday knocking down the primer with wet/dry 400 grit paper. After I was done with that I drove the truck out of the garage so I could do a really good job of cleaning up the shop and mopping the floor to get it ready for the paint.

Next up will be to start taping areas off and getting my plastic put down on floor and setting up my temporary plastic drapes to contain the area I am painting in as my make shift paint both. Once I get that done I will let it cure a couple days then get the bed back on the truck like I wanted to do over a week ago. Hopefully in the next few days I will be posting pictures of the paint on those areas.

Here are a few pictures of round two with the primer and a picture I stubbled across of a book written about the largest mule deer shot in Idaho. The picture has three or four mule deers strapped to the top of GMC truck in the snow.
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote