View Single Post
Old 09-18-2023, 10:54 PM   #109
MS66

Re: 1968 C10 Project "The Twin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS View Post
The oil is not the problem as my 68 Camaro and 33 Ford pickup are both running flat tappet cams. I keep plenty on hand, lol. I have a L79 cam that I put in my Camaro ran for like a year (maybe 300 miles) and then pulled out for something else. I kept the cam and lifters in a marked box so I can put it back together and that's the plan for the truck motor now. I've had buddies now having trouble with brand new rollers eating themselves due to poor part quality.

Based on my math with a couple different calculators and I should be 2200/2300 with the OD, plus swapping to the 5 speed I can give my grandfather back the 4 speed to mate up with a 396 he just picked up.
Actually, I was getting at when they stop putting oil on the shelf that we can use in our flat tappet engines. They're getting sneakier by the day. But yeah, I hear the same stories about poor quality rollers too. Flat tappets are worse and worse, good thing you have a good, matched set of older cam and lifters.
FWIW, the last 6 Chevy 350s that came in with wiped cams were all running the 151 cam, and it was #5 lobes worn off, mainly exhaust lobe. One of those was in my '70 Camaro. But a lot of that was because the guy I got it from had the wrong springs on the heads. All the others were running basic GM Z/28 type springs. I have a Goodwrench motor coming out now with the same cam, same #5 cylinder wiped cam.
Your grandfather is cool.
For the time being, I'm going to try to stick with the 250 6 banger in my '68 as long as I can stand it. BTW, Nice truck.
MS66 is offline   Reply With Quote