View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #53
skyphix

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

An actual update! Sold my 4runner, so once thats out of its parking spot the Yukon will go into it and I can make it immobile and start stripping the engine out of it.

Picked up a GM Replacement 4L80E with under 5k miles on it out of an 06 Van that was used for Appliance service, so light duty, for $600... should have that mid June once the guy gets it pulled out. Van was still driving around just fine and got retired for rust.

Also will be ordering a bunch more parts here in the next week or so; engine mounts, Flexplate, power steering line adapter.

All thats left after that is the fuel system (hemming and hawing on modern vinyl fuel lines like in new production vehicles, which would be around $100 + tool purchase, or just going braided stainless for $260 for ease of purchase and expediency) and the wiring. I have two complete wiring harnesses for a DBW installation - the one in my Yukon, and one that came on my spare LM7. I'm tempted to try the re-wire myself but its also pretty daunting to think about. I'll also need my driveshaft setup for the 4L80E but there is a local company that does it that's on a 2 week turn around, so I want to get the engine/trans mounted and in place so that I can have the driveshaft sent out while I either wire it or have it wired by the semi-local place that does it.

After that it will be driveable. I'll still need an axle bearing, and a set of tires for my 17's, but those are easy enough to knock off. This engine/trans swap is whats killing me.

Money is the only thing holding me back right now... so if anyone wants a good beginner motorcycle that isn't so boring you'll want to get rid of it in a year, let me know
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote