View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #59
skyphix

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

Finally made some solid progress on the truck this past weekend. Picked up my 4L80E.

Pulled my awful dashpad and the plastic cover over it (severely sun warped)

Dash pad itself had been painted or dyed at one time

Stripped all the foam and sanded it as smooth as I could

Gave it a couple of coats of rust converter

And threw it back together.

Its not exactly pretty, but it looks better than it did for now.

Also stripped out pretty much everything I could to get ready to pull the engine and trans. All thats left is to unhook the shift linkage and drop the driveshaft and it can come out.

So hopefully that will happen this weekend. Pretty sure I already have a buyer for the engine and trans, too (guy I picked the 4L80E up from needs a basic small block for his 55 daily driver) so hopefully that puts me a little closer to picking up the harness.

I decided to source a harness and ECU from PSI, even though I have two good harnesses and ECU's here at the house already. Its just quicker once I have the money to order it and the same cost as having a local company convert the harness. Would prefer to use the local company, but time has become tight. I'll have them convert one of the harnesses I have for a future project.

So, finally an actual update. If the weather holds off this weekend I should have the engine and trans out and have the engine bay cleaned up and sprayed. Next up is repeating this process to get the 5.3 out of the Yukon and on the stand for some clean up and to swap the exhaust manifolds.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote