View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #70
skyphix

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

Still progress being made...

Done so far:
Fuel system bench built
Driveline angle set with the DirtyDingo adjustable trans crossmember
Starter installed (though I'll likely have to remove it to get to the sensor behind it, I wanted to make sure everything lined up correctly with the new flexplate)
Exhaust manifolds installed
Starting to mock up the actual exhaust - going to attempt to build a Y pipe and if that doesnt work out, I'll run just straight dual exhausts to mufflers that dump out before the rear tires.
Ran my torque wrench across everything critical - torque converter bolts, engine mount brackets, exhaust manifolds, etc.
Installed the trans dipstick which fit like a factory piece. Super awesome (out of a 2004 2500HD with a 4L80E trans)

Easy to do:
Install the wiring harness - Took tomorrow off to do this since we have snow coming the end of the week...
radiator top mount - waiting for pay day then just need to get some aluminum to build this out.
Drop the existing fuel tank and remove as much of the existing fuel lines as I can get out of the way. Waiting on a couple of weatherpack connectors to come this week so I can wire it the right way. Just need to run a hot wire from the fuel pump relay down to the fuel pump but want to do it with a weathertight connector.
Reinstall the old battery support on the passenger side to support the airbox.
Install my new radiator
Make the trans cooler lines (braided with AN fittings,) attach the trans breather tubes up on the firewall, fill the trans up once I can run it so it pumps fluid through the new radiator
Front accessory drive. I literally just need to bolt this on and transfer the power steering lines to the LS PS pump with the adapter. I also need to figure out the plug size for the hydroboost feed since its a hydroboost pump and I am not running any power assist brakes.

Things that I am either waiting on or have yet to figure out:
Have to drill the holes to mount the drivers side battery tray... just haven't figured out exactly where I want to put them though its pretty obvious, I was sort of hoping this would just bolt in rather than have to drill new holes. Not too big of a deal in the end
How I am going to mount the radiator surge tank. Honestly, no idea how I am going to do this... maybe some angle iron or angle aluminum on top of the passenger inner fender.
Exhaust... just a welding challenge for me. Not that big of a deal but I suspect I'll screw it up and end up running something simpler. Never know though.

Hoping to get to a point to to be able to fire it this weekend. It wont be driving because I still need to get the driveshaft shortened but just to hear it run would be amazing. The guy that helped me get the truck (picked it up in SC for me since he lives there) is coming to visit the second week of December, and I really want to be able to give him a ride while he's here since he drove it before the swap. So the crunch is on... plus winter is fast approaching and I dont really want to work on the truck in a snowy/icy driveway if I can avoid it. I've also got a non-truck related project that has some sentimental value and needs to take priority over the winter... so the truck needs to be on the road! It will get driven through the winter - not daily, but on dry(ish) days. I'll be liberally applying WD40 (or fluid film if I can get a deal on it) to the underside several times through the winter and come spring will be doing floorboard repair anyway...

Last edited by skyphix; 11-05-2019 at 12:04 PM.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote