Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #52
dfairchild19

Re: Berthas Build

I replaced both front and rear main seals as well as adding wear sleeves to the scored crank surfaces. The problem with doing this was that I did not have the $200 a piece tools to press on the wear sleeves. For the rear, I found a local kenworth dealer that had this tool which is universal for both B and C series cummins. The tool pressed both the wear sleeve and the seal onto the crank with the housing installed loosely.

I got the front install tool from the dealer as well but it was specific to a C series and was about an inch too big for my little B series. I called a local shop to see if they had the tool to do it and they suggested just heating the wear sleeve(since it was separated from the sleeve unlike the rear) under a halogen lamp for a while and then sliding it on. The halogen lamp didn't quite work but I did put the wear sleeve in the oven at about 450 degrees for about 20 or 30 minutes, ran it out to the barn, and put it on the end of the crank and smacked it with a 2x4 Anne a hammer far enough to get the balancer bolts to thread over the balancer and just used the balancer to press it on until the balance bottomed out. The wear sleeve and seal kit didn't come with an installed for the seal so I had to come up with another he brew solution. I started a search in the barn for a piece of material that would match the mid diameter of the sleeve to get it started and found that a piece of inter cooler tube works perfectly.

So after about 3 weeks of trying to track down the tools to do these wear sleeves, I was able to start assembly of the rest of the drive train.

dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote