View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 10:59 PM   #7
burnin oil

Re: Spark plug wires to get and set up?

I like the MSD low resistance wire myself as it has proven to be very durable. I had a header tube that was very close to the boot. The boot would die and I would just cut it off and replace the end. I could do this a couple times by leaving the wire long.

As for routing. Under the headers is better looking but I think its a pain to work on them, especially if you ziptie them together. Its ugly but I find spaghetti style over the cover to work the best on my headers. Alot of it really depends on how the tube and plug end occupy the same space. My old headers had 6 wires under and 2 over. I did this purely for wire longevity. I have a solid cam on my motor and its still easier for me to run over the top on this set of headers even though I have to pull the valve cover every once in a while. I do tend to change the plugs more than checking valve lash. I have one wire with the woven sleeve over it thats cut to cover the boot. I had so much radiant heat that the boot would crack after a few thousand miles. I tried all the wire ends other than the ceramic ones.

Looking at your headers make me.gringe. they remind me of a set I had that required shorty plugs for clearance. If that is your case get real comfy with the manufacturers plug guide then cross reference. My shorty was actually a lawn mower plug. By dropping the first letter of that I managed to get a standard plug (identical) for $2. Lawn mower plugs add an extra letter to the front to signify things like brings and Stratton. $5 plug in lawn in garden is $2 in automotive section of Walmart. Price at Walmart last year.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote