View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
Scott Liggett

Re: Crate engine install

For a pickup that weighs in excess of 4000 lbs, I would suggest almost any other engine that is sold out there except GM's 290 hp 350. It has a big camshaft, but very low compression, 8.5:1. This cam bleeds off cylinder pressure, which kills off low rpm torque. This is made worse by the lack of static compression. This engine would be great if it had 9.5:1 compression.

I just replaced the engine in my 67 GMC, and the previous posters here have great advice. If you have a buddy helping you, then someone working under the truck (on proper jack stands) to disconnect exhaust, pull starter, disconnect shifter linkage, unbolt trans bellhousing and torque converter bolts, etc. While someone is up top. Drain fluids first. Clean up the any mess that comes from it before working on anything else.

My engine replacement wasn't so easy since I slammed my truck. The engine hoist legs wouldn't go under the frame and lower A arms, so I had to jack the truck up a bit in order to use the engine hoist. If you can't borrow an engine hoist from a friend, then just rent one from any one of the rental yards. Unless you want this to be an excuse to add to your tool collection.

Have fun, take your time.
Scott Liggett is offline   Reply With Quote