View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
ts71281

Re: 4.8 V8 with a Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr1970 View Post
Looks to be ~350hp at the wheels; thats "so so"?!?!?
What do you mean by "headed"? It had aluminum heads to start with right? What did you end up doing to them?

Have you thought about a different tranny? I was disappointed with the 5-speed in my '06. I didn't like the split from 2nd to 3rd gear; too much spread. I woudl have preffered a tranny that had a more even spread through out the gear range.
I thought the truck posted above with the 6-speed conversion was interesting.
The engine I started with was a 5K mile 6L Lq4 from a van - I removed the heads and put a set of ported 243 casting heads (from a LS2 6L) that were ported with upgraded valve springs, lifters, cam and pushrods. I also am running long tube headers, a 90mm intake manifold from a Trailblazer SS and a cold air intake. These engines are very easy to work on.

You're right about the 5 speed having strange gear spacing, the 1-2 shift rock 'n' rolls, but the 2-3 is pokey. I still shut down the camaro boys and just the other night killed a SRT-8 challenger.

Like I said, I'm kind of a brat. The 6L goes so so in my opinion, my 1970 has a 468 big block, it pulls stronger
ts71281 is offline   Reply With Quote