View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
Mickeymotormount

Re: '01 2500 HD spongy brake pedal

Hatzie, thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions:

The master cylinder was bench bled. It took about an hour but all air bubbles were out before mounting.

New A/C Delco OEM power steering pump and A/C Delco power steering fluid. Hydro boost unit was used but I flushed it before installing. My original Hydro boost unit was leaking so I figured I would replace it.

I am running 17" tires. Over all diameter of 31". Standard width tire on GM 8 lug aluminum alloy rims from a later GMC truck.

For bleeding I made a special cap with an air fitting that snaps onto the master cylinder. I pressurize the master cylinder with about 5-10 psi from a compressor to push the fluid through the system. This works quite well as I can go from wheel to wheel and bleed the entire system while monitoring the level of fluid in the master cylinder.

When I bought the truck about 5 years ago, I replaced the hard lines with stainless steel ones since the originals were rotted out. All new rubber lines on 4 corners and rebuilt caliper on the corners as well.

Since the system was opened to replace the hard lines, I figured I must have gotten air into the system, or at least the ABS unit. So I bought a scan tool to actuate the ABS unit while bleeding. I have bled multiple times but with same result.

Peculiar thing: If the ABS is activated while driving on ice or something slippery, the pedal will firm up momentarily and then return to it's spongy state.

1967 C20 2WD Longbed

2001 2500 HD 4X4 Extended cab long bed

Last edited by Mickeymotormount; 12-18-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Mickeymotormount is offline   Reply With Quote