View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 12:42 AM   #7
Purcell69

Re: '51 Build w/4bt Cummins

I will definitely be following along with this one. I think the 4BT will be a bit easier to tuck in there than the 6BT. The added weight and length would be a lot of engineering on your part.

I think you will find that boxing the front frame will do well to give the extra strength needed for Cummins. A hydroboost from an older GM 1 ton will take care of power steering and power brakes and will require less room than a vacuum booster.

With just a little tweaking, the 4BT can be tuned to produce stock 12V Cummins power without losing reliability or giving up much in fuel economy. No need for big injectors etc., just some minor adjustments. If you haven't looked already, check out 4BT Swaps.com. There is lots of good info to be found there. I have not done one myself, but my next project will be a 4BT powered truck.

Also, the 10 Bolt rear end may be the minimum for that engine. Consider a 12 Bolt if you want GM, or possibly a 9" Ford with re drilled hubs to match your wheels. The 4BT has a lot of torque that will be passed along to your gears and axles.

Looking forward to this one!!

-Joe