View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
SCOTI

Re: Lower control arm cross shaft compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCash View Post
I'm in the process of rebuilding/upgrading the suspension on my '68 c20 right now and I have a question about the lower control arm cross shafts. I bought a complete subframe from a 73-87 squarebody to do a disc brake swap/5 lug conversion, but damaged the lower control arm cross shafts while trying to remove them for a bushing replacement.

The question - do the 67-72 cross shafts with metal bushings fit into the squarebody control arms that previously had rubber bushings? For some reason new 67-72 cross shafts are astronomically cheaper than the squarebody equivalent.

If they don't fit, I'll have to hunt down another set of 1/2 ton lower control arms since new cross shafts for 73-87 are just as expensive as an entire control arm.

Any help would appreciated!
While either application can be swapped for one another w/the right parts combo, these shafts do not interchange. The 63-72 shafts utilize threaded/screw-on rubber-lined steel bushings & the 73-87 utilize press in rubber-bushed shells. Two different shafts are used for the two different style set-ups.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote