Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #1939
scoot_mcgrute

Re: Make it handle

I've been following along during the build of my 66 and have been autocrossing it the last year and a half. Well, as much as the weather here in the NW permits . I did quite a bit of work to the rear suspension this last winter, installed the No Limit rear shock relocation kit, flipped the trailing arm brackets, swapped the 12 bolt for an 8.8 and the POL panhard bar kit and feel like I'm fighting the truck now. I noticed a lot of body roll in my first autocross in March but without a rear bar, I was expecting it. I took the truck to LS Fest West over the weekend and was struggling with the truck both days, so much so that I tried removing the rear sway bar and then ultimately flipping the trailing arm brackets back to the stock location. Flipping the brackets got me a full second faster but I still was feeling that I was holding back because of the truck. I'm new to performance driving and I don't expect that I'm maxing the truck out yet but maybe I am. Specs of it are:

CPP 3" drop springs and spindles up front
C10 front sway bar
CPP 5" drop springs and 2" blocks in the rear
Stock Trans Am WS6 rear sway bar
KYB Monomax shocks all around
No Limit rear shock relocation
POL longer panhard bar
275/40r18 Hankook RS-4s all around
Stock frame, not boxed

I have QA1 taller upper balljoints to put in and then I also want to do the caster mod on the lower control arm pivots but I'm wondering if I should focus my efforts elsewhere. I'm also a guy that would prefer to do stiffer springs over sway bars and I'm also on a pretty tight budget, hence the options I've done, but I can do most any fabrication myself.

Are there any mods that are obvious that will help out more than others that also don't break the bank?

Here's a picture from the autocross in March, I did not have a rear sway bar here but I did flip the factory trailing arm mounts over:

Here's a picture from LS Fest after I put the trailing arm brackets back to stock and put the rear bar back on: