View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
Brads49

First truck build '49 3100

Hey everyone.... about a week ago I purchased a 1949 pickup from a family friend. The guy I bought it from is the grandson of the original owner. He came to the realization that he just wasn't going to get around to it. He had kept the truck in his barn for the past 32 years, prior to that, it sat in an airplane hanger for several years at the airport that his grandfather owned. The truck is still wearing most of it's original paint and even has hand painted lettering from the airport and the phone number which I'm told was painted on in or around 1951. The truck was mostly disassembled and in various boxes, old coffee cans and tobacco cans. From what I can tell so far, I have the complete truck minus the front and rear bumpers. The truck has spent it's entire life here in the same town which I think is pretty cool. My plan is to keep the exterior largely untouched but most likely spray a satin clear over it to preserve the lettering. I have an 8.8 out of an explorer for the rear and plan to go with an IFS with a small block and turbo 350 trans. The interior will be completely re-done to provide comfort while driving. Right now the plan is to put 17" artillery wheels on it as well as I think it would be a cool look. The hood and doors had been primed 30 years ago but I was told that they weren't stopped.to metal so I'm hoping that I can carefully wet sand through the primer to expose the original paint underneath (or what's left of it). There are so many great builds on this site! I hope that I can get through this project and have a worthy cruiser as well.
Attached Images

Brads49 is offline   Reply With Quote