View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
mr48chev

Re: Power Brakes, What have you guys used?

If you are going to use donor vehicle pieces or as popstand did, new replacements for donor pieces the important thing to remember is to do as what he did and match the pieces.

Where a lot of us get in trouble or create setups that may be a bit less than ideal is when we start mixing donor vehicle parts because they are available or look a little less ugly than what matches the front and rear brakes.

Looking back, when I subframed my 48 I used 72 Monte Carlo front rotors and calipers, 66 impala rear axle and brakes, mid 70's Pontiac booster and master cylinder. The rear axle and booster/mc because they were on donor rigs I had at the shop at the time and the rear was a 12 bolt posi. My brakes worked pretty good but if you weren't used to the truck and hit them a bit hard you got slammed forward and got a wakeup call as one friend who drove it one day did. I had a learning experience with it when I put it together but I have a light foot on the brakes anyhow having driven as many as 20 cars a day test driving them after working on them back in the 70's.

Mick53's setup is all aftermarket but you can bet a bottle of single malt that he sat down and scienced every piece of it out and then got on the horn and talked to the guys at Wldwood to confirm that what he planned went along with what they worked best.

I don't like brake boosters on the firewalls of AD trucks though. That is a lot of ugly to stick right there to block the view of the engine you just spent tons of time and money making pretty or in Mick's case there is no room for it.
Even with my 292 the Aussie Speed intake will put the 4 barrel right out where a booster and master cylinder would want to be. Plus I have 300 tied up in my finned aluminum valve cover and am not about to hide it.

Still with donor parts, All from the same model donor or from donor's that use the same parts most likely will work best. Or from donors that your aftermarket pieces emulate. Simply meaning that if you are running 11 inch mid 70's Chevelle/Camaro style 11 inch rotors and calipers a mid 70's same size car mc and booster and attending pieces should give you the best results. S-10 or 78/84 G body Stay in that group.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote