View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Re: For those waiting on Camaro caliper brackets....

gringo - I started these as a one piece design. After trying them on a couple of different rear end housings, I found that the axle housing flange was machined on the outside where the drum backing plate bolted on, but not on the inside. There was variances on the thickness. They might be 1/4" thick near the corners, but 3/16" in between the bolt holes. Some also had a slight taper at the corners on the inside.

The result was that when the bracket was tightened down (it mounts on the inside of the flange), it would "pull" around the corners, or get sucked into the shallower part in between the bolts. This would result in the caliper not being square to the rotor. The brake pads would only touch on, say, the bottom edge of one side, and the upper edge of the other side.

So I tried several different styles of a two piece design and came up with this. This way, the bracket that the caliper actually attaches to is mounted to a square surface, via the outside bracket being bolted to the machined part of the flange. There is a possibility that a little bit of grinding might be necessary, and I do mean just a little bit, on the inside of the flange if it is thicker than 1/4". On my own truck, one side is right at or less than 1/4" thick around the entire flange, and the other side is about .030" - .040" past 1/4". This was near the corners, so just a quick hit with the grinder took care of that.

Sorry for the long drawn out explanation....... but I hope it explains my reasoning for going two piece instead of one.

Alex - Thanks!!!!

lowdowndirtyshame67 - They use 94-96 Impala/Caprice rotors, and they are 5x5".

bighead - Gotcha down!

Chris - Thanks for the housing! That really helped determine that this was the best route to go.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 07-11-2007 at 09:27 AM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote