View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
Overdriven

Attention you get on the road

With warmer weather basically here, my 1967 Camaro and c10 will be hitting the road for another season but I can’t help but think about the attention I got last season. My c10 gets some attention on the road but not much. Others in a classic vehicle will wave, I might get one compliment a year at a gas station. People notice the c10 but it seems rare that anyone let’s me know they noticed it.

My Camaro is a different story. It seems like I can’t take this car anywhere without at least one person saying something. I’ve had random people come up and say stuff like “what are you doing in my car”, “just took your car around the block it rides nice”, circling me in a parking lot cell phone in hand, yelling at me “nice car” while passing the opposite direction (startling to say the least), etc. My favorites were a guy yelling “nice car” across a parking lot, I waved to him instead of yelling back, he then proceeded to continually yell “whatcha got in it” 5 times until I pulled away. The other was a guy in a bigger truck on a 3 lane highway, me in middle lane, he started on my passenger side pacing me, all I could see was the bottom of his door. If I increased or decreased speed he stayed right there until traffic slowed in that lane at which point he swerved just behind me and into the left most lane. Then started coming up along side of me again with the stupidest grin on his face and started to roll down his window, undoubtedly to say something equally stupid at 75mph. I wish I can say I was eloquent but after all the incidents I’ve had with people while driving this car I had enough and gave him a 1 finger salute.

It doesn’t help I’m kind of a private person unless I know you, I don’t even take my stuff to car shows. I know it’s a car you don’t see on the road everyday and it causes some sort of emotion they need to express. But don’t people realize I own them for me not them? And the stupidity of some ways people express these emotions has gotten really old at this point. I can’t be the only one, anyone else have stories of receiving attention in bad ways while out there on the road?